The Innovative Theatre Foundation has just released a new report that examines the demographics of the artists working Off-Off-Broadway (OOB). This is the third study in a series of five designed to capture statistical information about the diverse community that comprises Off-Off-Broadway. Among the first known publicly available data focused specifically on this sector, some of its highlights include:
- 85% of the OOB population holds a college degree. This is 58% higher than the national average.
- 86% voted in the 2004 presidential election. This is 22% higher than the national average of 64%.
- 68% of respondents are age 21-40
- 53% of respondents are female
- Income level of Off-Off-Broadway artists is near the national average, and slightly below the NY state average
- 91% of respondents live in New York City
- 10% of respondents reported making their living exclusively from their work in the theatre
- 48% of the respondents currently belong to at least one theatrical union