Sunday, December 2, 2007

One Night Stands ;)

Happy Chanukah, Off-Off-Broadway! I, for one, really love this time of year. I deeply enjoy celebrating with friends and family, and I also tend to reflect on the past 12 months. This has been a particularly eventful year. YOU, my beloved New York performing arts community, have been very busy.

In the first six weeks of fall 2007 alone the IT Awards adjudicated an unprecedented 100 productions. That translates to 300 more audience members watching and thinking about your shows. It is, in my opinion, a huge accomplishment both for our widening array of registrants and for us as an organization.

Personally this year, I moved to Brooklyn and that brings me to the theme of tonight's blog: one night stands. No, not the lucky individuals who have briefly visited my beautiful Bensonhurst apartment! I mean the incredible shorter-run theater being created in my new home borough. They may not play the 8-performance minimum to register, but they are fast, fun, and raise funds (not unlike myself).

Vampire Cowboys produced a third installment of their very popular Revamped series at their fantastic performance and teaching venue, the Battle Ranch. This year's show was a laugh-out-loud collection of Sci-Fi Fairy Tales featuring six playwrights, video performances, and musical guests. It was especially thrilling to see so many of the talented collaborators are IT Award-registered, nominated, and recipient companies. I am really looking forward to upcoming full-length offerings from each of the contributors.

Monarch Theater Company presented a terrific One Minute Play Festival this weekend at the Brick Theater. It included a whopping 34 playwrights, 12 directors, and 40 actors - all at 60 seconds each. They made excellent use of such little time, putting each moment to work in frequently unique and always energetic ways.

I am so proud to call such a fertile place my little HQ. You may not already be here in Brooklyn, but Off-Off-Broadway and the IT Awards sure are. We cordially invite you to join us. Who knows? Maybe someone will invite you to stay for a night.

Season's Greetings,

Hillary Cohen

Development Manager

New York Innovative Theatre Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment