Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I can’t…. I have rehearsal.

x

Contributed by Guest Blogger of the week, Jillian Zeman.


This facebook group grabbed my attention immediately.  1. I thought it was hilarious.  2.  It describes my life perfectly.

I’ve always loved never having to be behind a desk.  That’s just not me.  I like to be up and around.  If I answered phones for a living and had to live behind a desk with a word document opened in front of me I would probably die a slow death. 

But sometimes I wonder.  What is it like going to work for 9am and being home by 6pm?  A weekend… two days off in a row?  What’s that like?  Usually my one day off a week consists of laundry, some food shopping, and maybe a nap. 

When I was first started working OOB, sometimes I was working numerous shows at a time.  A day off didn’t even exist.  This was one of the few times I ever dropped my laundry off at a wash-n-fold.  I had to schedule eating into my day.  Days out with friends were few and far between, if they existed at all.

However, despite the busy schedule, I loved every minute of it.  I loved jumping from one rehearsal to another (and maybe having to take a class in between).  And while I didn’t necessarily love not being able to go out with my friends, I made a lot of others. 

I take my hat off to those who are able to balance it all:  work, family, and theatre (because let’s face it, some of us can’t just rely on theatre to pay the bills!).  I sure haven’t mastered it yet, something always falls to the wayside and unfortunately it’s usually my personal life.  Thanksgiving is the one holiday my family celebrates, and I haven’t been there with them for three years.  I always miss it, and they miss me, but they understand the career I’ve chosen and they support me even if it means I can’t be home for the holidays. 

It comes down to support.  My family and friends support me and my career- I don’t think I’ve ever worked on a show they haven’t come to; and I support them in everything they do.  So, maybe I have rehearsal (or a performance) but they’re usually waiting for me at the bar afterwards.  

x

No comments:

Post a Comment