Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Starting Over

x

Contributed by Guest Blogger of the week Stacy Mayer.

Moving to New York is tough.  It takes time when you move to a new city.  Connections don’t happen overnight.  You have to patient.  Blah blah blah.

I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately.  I have to keep reminding myself that when I first moved to New York, eight years ago, it wasn’t easy.  I had already been performing in Chicago and I couldn’t bare the idea of “starting over.”

That’s when I became a producer. I would create art myself.  And I did pretty well.  I founded Manhattan Comedy Collective.  I was an ensemble member at Emerging Artists Theatre and curated their solo play festival. I had connections all over the city and I was always performing.  I was a success.

And then I decided to move…again…to San Francisco. 

The excuse is that I moved out here for love.  But I have a feeling there is something else. I am still a performer, producer, writer.  But where do I start in this new city?

Once again, I don’t feel like I can start over.

So what do I do?  I know what I don’t want.  I don’t want to start another theatre company.  I don’t want to take beginner level acting classes.  I don’t want to audition for theatres where I don’t even know if it will be any good.

So what do I want to do?

I remember taking a job at The Jekyll & Hyde Club on The Avenue of the Americas, like many New Yorkers just to get my Equity card.  I planned on working there for three months tops.  But little did I know, most of my closest friends and collaborators would come from that job.  Over half of the Manhattan Comedy Collective were people I met there.

So I’m keeping an open mind.  Inspiration is where you least expect it, right? Oh that’s a good idea.  Maybe I’ll do that? See what happens.


x



No comments:

Post a Comment