Friday, September 19, 2014

Dumbo

Dumbo
By Kate Kertez
Directed by Sara Wolkowitz
Produced by Oracle Theatre, Inc.

Nomination:  Kate Kertez is nominated for Outstanding Original Short Script


        Photos by Sergei Burbank

About this Production
A powerful family uses unusual means to protect their reputation after one of their own does the unspeakable. Dumbo was produced as a part of Brooklyn Labyrinth which were three short plays that reimagined the Greek myth of the Minotaur in a modern context.

---------------------------------------------------------------------


What attracted you to this project?

Kate: Edith Hamilton's Mythology was one of my favorite books growing up. I loved reading about larger-than-life characters behaving outrageously, getting swept up in wild love stories, and suffering horrific consequences - it was better than any soap opera on television. So when Ike and Sergei approached me saying they wanted to do a re-imagining of the Minotaur myth, I was all in.


What was your favorite part of working on this production?

Kate: My favorite part of working on the project was collaborating with Ike Rathbone and Sergei Burbank. They brought me on-board this project, and are such skilled playwrights that I was perpetually intimidated by them and terrified that I was going to ruin the show by not rising to their level. Fear is a great motivator, and so being around them and their words pushed me to do better work. Plus, to my great relief, they are also incredibly generous, kind, and funny people.


What was the most challenging part of working on this production?

Kate: Unfortunately for me, the production went into rehearsals right after I had left NYC to move to LA. I like sitting in rehearsals, watching things take shape, and then reevaluating my work, and so the challenge was letting that go and trusting the script to hold up on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment